After extensive restoration and reconstruction, the Latvian National Museum of Art reopened its doors to visitors at 10:00 AM on May 4, 2016. The museum is located at Valdemāra Street 10 in Rīga.
A GRAND OPENING
The reopening of the main building of the Latvian National Museum of Art (LNMA) was an event of national importance. The museum has been entirely renovated, restored and enlarged. A modern and accessible infrastructure and environment has been created for visitors, with innovative services for educational and recreational programmes that are based on visitor needs and interests. The museum hopes to become an important participant in the creation of the nation’s identity and intercultural dialogue, a place for the community, as well as a significant tourist attraction in Rīga and Latvia. During its first year, the museum plans to welcome more than 100,000 visitors.
Visitors will be welcomed to tour a new permanent display of Latvian art from the 19th and 20th century (the 2nd and 3rd floors of the main building), as well as two new temporary exhibitions devoted to significant Latvian artists – Miervaldis Polis (b 1948), “Illusion as Reality” (Great Exhibition Hall in the new block of the museum), and Boriss Bērziņš (1930-2002), “Silver/Gold” (4th floor of the main building).
The LNMA is open six days a week, from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Fridays, and 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays. The museum’s permanent exhibit is open to visitors at no charge on the last Sunday of every month. The museum is closed on Mondays.
ARCHITECTURE AND CONSTRUCTION
The building of the Latvian National Museum of Art at Krišjāņa Valdemāra Street 10 in Rīga is one of the most representative buildings in the so-called circle of parks and boulevards in the Latvian capital city. The building was designed by the museum’s first director, a Baltic German architect and art historian Wilhelm Neumann (1849-1919), and it was built in 1905 as the first building in the Baltic to be erected specifically to become a museum. The structure of the museum and the parameters of exhibition halls corresponded to contemporary art museum standards at that time. The building today is an architectural landmark of national significance.